Pages

Monday 17 December 2018

Week 1 A Place To Stand Day: 2

DAY 2: Forest Life

Activity 1: Giants Among Us [4 points]

New Zealand has a really special environment. Many of the plants and trees found in New Zealand are not found anywhere else in the world. These plants and trees are endemic to our country.  In New Zealand, one of the largest and longest living endemic trees is the NZ Kauri tree. Kauri are mainly found in three regions of New Zealand: the Coromandel, Auckland and Northland. The largest Kauri tree in the country is in the Waipoua Forest in Northland. It is called Tāne Mahuta. Some people refer to it as the ‘Lord of the Forest.’
Thousands of people go to visit Tāne Mahuta every year. Would you like to be one of those people who got to see Tāne Mahuta in real life? Why or why not?
On your blog, tell us whether you would like to go and visit Tāne Mahuta one day. Be sure to tell us why you do (or do not) want to visit this endemic tree.


I would love to visit this place but then at the same time I would want to think about the dangers that might happen to me or some one else. Plus when I see this big tree I might even climb but I can't. When I see this spectacular tree just image if there was something there watching you like a predetor will taking photo. But what i most fear is spiders. when I find a spider I get really scared. So then that means I would not visit the endemic tree.

1 comment:

  1. Kia ora Mathew,
    I can see that you are a good writer because you describe your feelings very well and that makes your post interesting and genuine, well done! However, I can assure you that there is nothing to be scared of as here in New Zealand we don't have predators, hence you would not be in any danger by visiting Tāne Mahuta. I have been there visiting Tāne Mahuta and I can tell that is a really special place because this tree is so massively big and old that it gave me the impression of being witness something very special and powerful. I took my daughter there and she also absolutely loved it!
    Thanks for another great post and keep up with the good work!
    Kia kaha,
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.